This morning, I made a video call and sang the birthday song to Arya. Not the one you're thinking of, probably, but the one they sing in Sarah & Duck because the BBC know that they'd have to pay to use 'Happy Birthday'.
This song:
When I called (a little after Hanna tried to call me, since I'd been in the shower at the time,) Arya was happy and smiling and making a good fist of her breakfast. I hope she stays that way, not because I want her to have a good birthday so much as because I want her to have a good every day.

Two years.
Two years since my life changed completely and forever, and entirely for the better. Two years since the moment that singing birthday songs popularised by talking bread cakes became a possibility. Two years since I first held that tiny, incredible life in my hands. Two years since I stopped being just a guy, and became a dad. Two years of the most incredible, wonderful, frustrating, heartwarming, stressful, joyous, exciting, terrifying, amazing adventure in the world.
It seems like no time at all, and yet it feels like forever, because the time before her seems so distant. Was I ever not a dad? How is that possible when it's so much a part of me now?
Happy birthday, Arya-Rose.
It's your birthday today.
You were born on this day!
Another year to play.
It's your birthday today!
This song:
When I called (a little after Hanna tried to call me, since I'd been in the shower at the time,) Arya was happy and smiling and making a good fist of her breakfast. I hope she stays that way, not because I want her to have a good birthday so much as because I want her to have a good every day.

Two years.
Two years since my life changed completely and forever, and entirely for the better. Two years since the moment that singing birthday songs popularised by talking bread cakes became a possibility. Two years since I first held that tiny, incredible life in my hands. Two years since I stopped being just a guy, and became a dad. Two years of the most incredible, wonderful, frustrating, heartwarming, stressful, joyous, exciting, terrifying, amazing adventure in the world.
It seems like no time at all, and yet it feels like forever, because the time before her seems so distant. Was I ever not a dad? How is that possible when it's so much a part of me now?
Happy birthday, Arya-Rose.
It's your birthday today.
You were born on this day!
Another year to play.
It's your birthday today!
No comments:
Post a Comment