Monday, 12 January 2015

The vortices in her hair

This photo fails to catch the vortices of her
hair, created by the static from the balloon that
she commandeered.
I had another solo run this weekend. Hanna brought Arya over on Friday night, and left without her on Saturday morning. This was entirely intentional.

I opted not to take Arya into Ely on Saturday, because the weather was horrible. We did go to the library and did some shopping together, then sat in a while and had some lunch. At about one, Arya decided that she wanted to go to the library again, but unfortunately it closes at one and with it all possible pre-school recreation in Littleport. In retrospect, we probably should have gone to Ely anyway, at least there are playgrounds.

Instead, we ended up playing an exciting game called 'try to psych out daddy and ditch him while I run up and down the pavement'. Then there was 'drag a basket around the shop, periodically falling over it or dropping inappropriate items into it', with a side game of 'break some eggs'. I don't blame her, she was exhausted; I just don't know what I could have done to get her to nap when I didn't have the energy to get her into the pushchair.

So, we went home, where she lay on the mat by the door and beat pathetically on the panels, mewling and wailing until I was able to distract her with Sarah & Duck and refresh her reserves with cake and crackers. On the plus side, however, after a fairly chilled (if very sleepy) evening, she slept from 8:30-6:30 the next morning.
She saw bigger kids doing this and decided it
was a great game. I think we need a pre-
emptive talk about smoking.

On Sunday we went swimming. She was alternately clingy and wanted to climb out and find Mummy*, but was kind of into it. She then napped around Cambridge with Daddy Andrew, before waking in time for a light lunch at Frankie and Benny's and then home.

She was slow to sleep on Sunday, and eventually only went off holding her Babby. This involves a sort of mutual cuddle, like nesting dolls of some kind, with me cuddling her cuddling Babby. I am especially impressed/concerned that when I put her in her cot she immediately woke and demanded 'where my babby', and when given Babby fell fast asleep.

It was another exhausting weekend, even more so because last week's flu meant that I hadn't really got my wind back. We're more back to normal next week, with no Empire events or anything, so hopefully it will be a little easier.

* As an interesting side note, 'Mummy' is Mummy, 'Mama' is Animal from the Muppets.

No comments:

Post a Comment